Welcome to TIVERTON 1st!

Tiverton 1st is a grassroots community organization open to all who support preserving our quality of life in Tiverton by maintaining both our community and school services in a fiscally-responsible way, and promoting cooperation, compromise and community pride.
Membership is open to all Tiverton residents who are at least 18 years old & support Tiverton 1st's principles & goals (non-residents or those under 18 years old are welcome to join as non-voting members). There's no membership fee.Just email your name, address, phone # and email address to: Tiverton1st@cox.net.
You can also request to become a "Tiverton 1st Friend"& join our confidential email list.

Friday, October 31, 2014

A STATEMENT FROM JOHN SOUZA, CANDIDATE FOR BUDGET COMMITTEE


Hello Tiverton Voters – 
I am John Souza and I am running for a position on the Budget Committee.  This is my first foray into elected politics.  I would like to take this opportunity to give you some background information.

I have lived in Tiverton since 1980.  I have a BS degree from the University of Notre Dame and an MBA from Bryant College.  I have had three careers since graduating from college In 1960. I spent 20 years in the US Navy Supply Corps, retiring in 1986 with the rank of Commander.  My entire career was spent in positions dealing with finance, budgeting, procurement, retailing, and teaching.  

Throughout my career I had positions of increasing authority and responsibility culminating as Commanding Officer of the Navy Resale System’s Northeast Field Support Office, responsible for the Navy Commissary and Navy Exchange operations throughout New York and New England.

After retiring, I became the Director of Business and Finance for the Fall River School System for 9 years and for the Plymouth Public Schools for 6 years.  Upon retiring from that career, I served as a Business Manager consultant for numerous Massachusetts and Rhode Island school systems for the next 12 years.

My background has certainly provided me with the experience and background to effectively serve the Town of Tiverton as a member of the Budget Committee.  All I can promise is that I will listen to every budget request with an open mind.  I will have no preconceptions as to what a department’s budget should be or should not be.  Budgets will be reviewed carefully for appropriate documentation of needs consistent within parameters of town affordability.

If you think I am qualified for this position on the Budget Committee, I would appreciate your vote.  But above all, please be sure to vote on November 4th.

Thank you.

John Souza
Candidate for Budget Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment